Oscar Winners of Yester-Year
Listed by year of their Los Angeles qualifying run, which is usually (but not always) the film’s year of release. Winners are listed first in bold, followed by the other nominees.
1954 Marlon Brando – On the Waterfront as Terry Malloy
- Humphrey Bogart – The Caine Mutiny as Lt. Cmdr. Philip Francis Queeg
- Bing Crosby – The Country Girl as Frank Elgin
- James Mason – A Star Is Born as Norman Maine
- Dan O’Herlihy – The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe as Robinson Crusoe
1959 Charlton Heston – Ben-Hur as Judah Ben-Hur
- Laurence Harvey – Room at the Top as Joe Lampton
- Jack Lemmon – Some Like It Hot as Jerry – ‘Daphne’
- Paul Muni – The Last Angry Man as Dr. Sam Abelman
- James Stewart – Anatomy of a Murder as Paul Biegl
Today, visitors of LA riding on “tour vans Los Angeles” rarely inquire about the Yester-Year celebrities; but we know exactly where “memory lane” is ( so to speak ) when they do! Perhaps the neatest thing about living in LA is the rich and diverse history followed by the countless stories that are around every corner.