Best Actors” 1960 & 1969
Listed by year of their Los Angeles qualifying run, which is usually (but not always) the film’s year of release. Winners are listed first in bold, followed by the other nominees.
1960 Burt Lancaster – Elmer Gantry as Elmer Gantry
- Trevor Howard – Sons and Lovers as Walter Morel
- Jack Lemmon – The Apartment as C. C. ‘Bud’ Baxter
- Laurence Olivier – The Entertainer as Archie Rice
- Spencer Tracy – Inherit the Wind as Henry Drummond
1969 John Wayne – True Grit as Marshal Reuben J. ‘Rooster’ Cogburn
- Richard Burton – Anne of the Thousand Days as King Henry VIII of England
- Dustin Hoffman – Midnight Cowboy as Enrico Salvatore ‘Ratso’ Rizzo
- Peter O’Toole – Goodbye, Mr. Chips as Arthur Chipping
- Jon Voight – Midnight Cowboy as Joe Buck
Today, visitors of LA riding on “Los Angeles Tours” rarely inquire about the Yester-Year celebrities; but we know exactly where “memory lane” is ( so to speak ) when they do! Perhaps the neatest thing about living in LA is the rich and diverse history followed by the countless stories that are around every corner.