Where Have All The Oscars Been?
Academy Award Ceremony Venues in Los Angeles and Hollywood
Those Oscars really get around. For a time there it was difficult to predict where in Los Angeles the traffic was going to be on Oscar night. As a private Los Angeles tour company we need to know these things to keep our custom tours and our special guests out of the traffic — unless that’s where they want to be.
We have borrowed from a couple of sources to provide you Oscar trivia nuts with a list of locations and dates where the Oscars have been held the past 83 years.
- 1929: Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
- 1930–1943: Alternated between the Ambassador Hotel and the Biltmore Hotel
- 1944–1946: Grauman’s Chinese Theatre
- 1947–1948: Shrine Auditorium
- 1949: Academy Award Theater (formerly the Marquis Theatre on Melrose near Doheny)
- 1950–1960: Pantages Theatre
- 1961–1968: Santa Monica Civic Auditorium
- 1969–1987: Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles Music Center
- 1988–2001: Alternated between the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion and the Shrine Auditorium
- 2002–present: Dolby Theatre, formerly known as the Kodak Theatre (2002–2011) and the Hollywood and Highland Center (2012)